Sunday, February 13, 2011

Keeping it Real

I read this idea on my friend LeeAnne's blog and I thought "cool, I can do that." So there are those of you who think that I have a great, easy life. I have always been a stay at home mom and have been to every class party, field trip and school event that my kids were a part of. Well, life around here isn't always sunshine and butterflies. Here are a few things you may not know about the Wharton's:

I hate it when "working" moms think I should be in charge of everything because I don't "work."

My biggest pet peeve is when people chew with their mouths wide open. It is disgusting!

I always complain about the stupid drivers around me. You know the ones on their phones or texting who are bouncing off the curbs or the ones who are going 15 under the speed limit!

I am not a morning person. Never have been, never will be.

I listen to my car radio way too loud. I'm talking about the good stuff like Aerosmith, the Police, Journey, Bon Jovi and other 80's rock. I like the new stuff too.

My house goes through spells of ickyness. I hate scrubbing the tub and mopping the floors so some times I don't.

On the very few days Rob has off work he can be found playing video games and more often than not colorful language can be heard coming from the living room.

Rob forgets to put the lid down on the toilet which drives me crazy after seeing a recent episode of Dr. Oz.

Emily is very gentle hearted but please don't make her mad. She is a fighter and would be a great asset to any debate team.

Emily and Jeremy fight all the time. I'm serious. This is a daily ongoing thing at our house. It is usually over something like how Jeremy is breathing.

I made my kids walk the last 1/2 mile home from church when they wouldn't stop fighting. They were 8 and 5. (I drove on the shoulder of the road right behind them.)

Emily is stubborn and does not want help when faced with a problem. I can do it myself is usually the reply we get. This usually ends with her in tears and me listening to the problem.

Jeremy does things on purpose to make you mad. He will admit to this.

Jeremy will only put in the least amount of effort to get by. He loves to push the limits to see how far he can go before I blow my top.

Jeremy HATES to get his hands dirty. I have never seen a boy with cleaner hands. He is forever washing them and I have never seen them truly dirty. I guess this is why he doesn't get sick.

I have heard my share of "you don't know what you're talking about," "you just don't understand," "WHATEVER." These are usually followed by stomping feet and slamming doors.

I will never earn mother of the year because according to all of my kids friends I am a mean mom. This comes from the fact that I make my kids do chores and they do not get an allowance. I also expect my kids to be honest and wear modest clothes.

I am not crafty, I don't bake my own bread, I am not musical and I have been known to take a nice long nap mid morning.

All in all I am not perfect and that's OK. I love my husband, my kids, my family and friends. This is our family and it works for us.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

I'm right with you Michelle! Except I'm REALLY a mean mom and a couple of years ago I cancelled the dish tv. Now we only get what the rabbit ears pick up!

Jill said...

I love to think of you blasting the Hair Bands in your car! And, I didn't know that about Jeremy keeping his hands clean all the time. He should be a surgeon!

Rita's Review said...

Michelle, my new philosophy for 2011 is, it is what it is. And if people don't like it- too bad. So with that said, I love your family just the way you are. Take a minute and think back - did you ever act the way your kids dowith your patience? Kids grow up and see their parents in a whole new light. It's the circle of life.