We coasted into Moab Utah very late on August 3rd. Because of the time change we were up and ready to go early and arrived at Arches by 7:00 a.m.
These are just a few of the amazing views in Arches.
I have proof the Delicate arch still stands. There had been a lot of talk in the east that it had fallen. As some of you know I hurt my knee pretty bad 4 days before this trip so one week later I was in no condition to make the hike to the arch. I did make it half way before my knee was screaming at me. I waited under the only tree on the trail and enjoyed a nice breeze and all the passersby. Even though I didn't make the whole hike I had about an hour to myself to clear my head and really appreciate how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful country.
This is the first view we had of the Grand Canyon. Words can not explain the beauty. I actually cried a little.
Yep, that's the Colorado River. It is actually much further down but we used the zoom on the camera to get the shot of it.
This is at Hermit's Rest. It is the furthest point you can go on the rim. We had a potty break and a snack then rode the shuttle back to the car.
We moved on from Grand Canyon to Hoover Dam to Las Vegas all on August 5th. We took in a little bit of Vegas that night but tried to see the strip on the 6th. I say tried because it was very windy that day and there is a ton of construction on the strip right now so it was like being in a sand storm. So we ditched that idea and hung out at the hotel. We went to see Blue Man Group that night and it was such a good show. We loved it!
Our next stop was San Clemente California. As I was doing this I realized that we did not take one picture in San Clemente or of the ocean. It was the whole purpose of going there. How dumb were we? We stayed over night on the 6th and then headed up the Pacific Coast Highway to Long Beach then we went up to Hollywood. We obviously didn't take a picture of the Hollywood sign either. I was driving so I think we should blame Rob for this.

We stayed August 8th and 9th in Burbank. We went to the walk of fame, Kodak Theatre and Mann's Chinese Theatre. We found George Clooney's hand and footprint's at Mann's.

Hmmm. Who is this? It was a blank star so we made our own.
Emily was so excited when we found Chuck Norris' star.

Now all of you Twilight fans don't hate me. As we were walking down the street taking in the freak shows, I mean entertainer's we noticed that they were setting up a red carpet. So we asked what was up. Well, now don't hate me, but they were expecting the stars of Twilight for a charity event. Emily of course wanted to stay and I said "No". It was going to be 5 hours later than the minute we were standing there. I'm sorry but I'm a mean mom.
We also found ourselves at Disneyland. We had not planned to go there but ended up there anyhow. This is a woozle on the Winnie the Pooh ride. Isn't he cute? We had 14 hours of park time and the kids were determined to do as much as possible in the two parks. We handed them the park maps and said "We are just here to tag along today. You two decide what we are doing all day." They did a great job and I think we only made a suggestion once as to what to do next.
After 12 hours we were all pooped. So we headed out of the park 2 hours before it closed. This is a cool display but didn't turn out so good at night. It says "Thanks for celebrating with us."
On the 10th of August we headed to San Francisco. This is us crossing the Bay Bridge.
This is the world famous Golden Gate Bridge. Isn't it beautiful? I drove across this stupid thing unable to see the car in front of us. I guess fog rolls in like this all the time.
We stayed the night of the 10th in Reno, Nevada then drove into Utah on the 11th. We got to see the Salt Flats (yes, no pictures of that either) and stay with my aunt Jeanette and uncle Gary. We visited Temple square and had dinner with Ben and Claire one night. They have such a nice house and Claire, we discovered, is a painter. Ben proudly showed off some of her work and I really like what she did in the baby's room. Dustin, Janell and Damien joined us for dinner on the last night we were there and we spent time talking and looking at pictures of me when I was little. On Saturday the 15th we loaded up the car to head back east. I always get emotional when I leave Jeanette's. It has always been a place of peace for me, my second home.
We made the long 14 hour trip from SLC to Lincoln, Nebraska. While we were out on this trip my cousin Chris and his wife Kristine had their baby on August 7th. We stopped on Sunday morning to spend an hour with them and Emily beamed when she got to hold baby Cristian. What a sweet baby. Well, that brings us to the end of our trip. After 5,723 miles, $500.00 in gas and 8 different hotels we arrived safely home at 1:30 Monday morning. We are now on the fast track to getting ready for back to school.
We stayed August 8th and 9th in Burbank. We went to the walk of fame, Kodak Theatre and Mann's Chinese Theatre. We found George Clooney's hand and footprint's at Mann's.
Hmmm. Who is this? It was a blank star so we made our own.
Now all of you Twilight fans don't hate me. As we were walking down the street taking in the freak shows, I mean entertainer's we noticed that they were setting up a red carpet. So we asked what was up. Well, now don't hate me, but they were expecting the stars of Twilight for a charity event. Emily of course wanted to stay and I said "No". It was going to be 5 hours later than the minute we were standing there. I'm sorry but I'm a mean mom.
4 comments:
Looks like you guys had SO much fun!! I love all the pics and commentary - your kids will talk about those road trips FOREVER!! I know me and my brothers sure do!
Michelle,
I am so proud of your for driving over all those bridges, I know how you hate them. The professional driver in the family should have taken over for you! Glad you guys got to Disneyland. Sarah was 8 when we went and she doesn't remember a thing except the power went out in CA Adventure. Emily and Jeremy, I am so proud that you are good car travelers. Sarah & I hate roadtrips, our max is 5 hours in the car. I love your family mascot. We brng TEDE (Sarah's bear) with us everywhere, we even has his own small photo album of all the places he has been. He got his picture taken with Pluto at Disneyland!. I miss you guys, Love you and hope to see you soon. Rita & Sarah
Emily,
I see you are wearing the shoes I gave you. I am so glad you like them. Love Sarah
WOW!! What a road trip. I don't know I think I might have stayed for the Twilight thing myself!
We saw the Blue Men Group and LOVED it. It was an amazing show. And I will say you are MOST brave to drive over that bridge! Dave and I went there right after we got married, that was after the earthquake and there was NO way I was getting on that bridge!!
I love the stuffed animal in the pictures. VERY fun!
Post a Comment