Tuesday, October 29, 2013

20 days of anxiety

Forgive me in advance for this post but I really just want to get this written down somewhere.  It is very personal but it is part of my history. 
On October 8th I was having some pain in my left arm pit/breast area.  I thought that I had pulled a muscle or something because I had just painted my bedroom and moved furniture that was too heavy.  By Wednesday morning the pain had increased and at my sons urging I called to make a doctors appointment.
On Thursday October 10th I went to the appointment and I was very anxious and hadn't really slept at all the night before.  I was seeing a new doctor because mine was booked for over a week.  Dr Ryan came in and asked what was going on and of course I broke into tears.  I told her what was going on and that of course my brain went right to breast cancer and that I hate going to the doctor.  I was also kicking myself because last year when I went to see my doctor about a cold he told me that I should probably think about getting a mammogram in the near future and of course I had not followed that advice.  Dr. Ryan did an exam and told me she thought I had indeed stressed a muscle but that she was more worried about the small lump she found.  She didn't think it would turn out to be anything but she wanted me to schedule a mammogram and ultrasound just to rule everything out.  She reassured me that I would be fine.  I managed to make it out to the car before I totally lost it.  I called Rob and his "you can't stress until you know" attitude did not make me feel better.  Before I left the parking lot I called and schedule the mammogram.
On Monday October 14th at 8:00 in the morning I drove myself to the appointment.  Rob and I had decided not to tell the kids about this until we knew something for sure. Everyone at the Henry Ford Breast Care and Wellness Center were so friendly and helpful.  The woman who did my mammogram immediately put me at ease with her kind words and soft spoken demeanor.  I then had my ultrasound and the woman in there was just as kind.  They did indeed find a mass about the size of a dime but they did not think it was anything to worry about.  I had the choice to have a biopsy or not.  About 2/3 of women opt not to and 1/3 of women do just for the peace of mind.  I am one of those women.  My biopsy was scheduled for the next week and I left the office feeling so much better even though they had found a mass.
On Thursday October 24th at 10:00 I went to have my biopsy.  I made Rob come with me and within an hour they had taken 5 samples, placed a titanium marker and did another mammogram. 
On Monday October 28th I got a call that the results were back from pathology and everything was negative.  I don't think I have smiled so big in my life.  Such great news.
The worst part of this whole thing was that after the biopsy they closed the incision with steri-strips.  I had told 3 of the 4 women in the room that I was allergic to bandage adhesive.  I have a major reaction to it.  The reaction is usually worse that the injury.  2 hours after the procedure I took off the gauze that was held down with paper tape and it only left a small reaction.  Within 24 hours I was on the phone with the office because the steri-strips were really causing a problem.  They said if I absolutely needed to remove them to do so carefully.  I couldn't wait for Rob to get home and get them off.  Rob thinks they used 4 - 6 steri-strips.  Within hours of removing them I had a huge rash that was red and very itchy.  At this point the doctors office was closed and I didn't want to go to the hospital so the entire weekend I was miserable.  On Monday I went to see Dr. Ryan who couldn't believe they used the steri-strips and sent me home with 2 prescriptions to relieve the itchy painful rash.  Today I took this picture to show any future doctors who think I can handle a little adhesive.

No comments: