Monday, October 14, 2013
Vacation in Detroit, yep, that's how we roll.
I grew up in Michigan and my dad used to take us down town all the time. My kids have traveled all over the country but I can't really say that we have seen Detroit. We have been to events down there but we have never really explored the city. So, on a beautiful September weekend we surprised the kids with an overnight in Detroit. We stayed at the MGM Grand because it was free.
We went down on a Friday afternoon and walked around the city. The Joe Louis fist.
A view of the city from Hart Plaza.
The fountain in Hart Plaza.
The Detroit River. You can see Canada and I caught a Coast Guard cutter going up river.
This is the Detroit Princess. I'm not sure but I think you can book parties on it. Rob and I have a disagreement about the boats origin. He says it's an old Boblo boat, I say not. Let me know if you can solve this.
Right on the river front is this awesome statue that represents the slave movement. It shows some of the symbols used to help them find their way.
I never did understand this loop but now I do after reading the sign.
I was happy that it was a nice fall day, the streets were clean and not too busy, we found parking easily,the homeless people we came across were really friendly and my kids enjoyed themselves. We stopped at a lot of statues and learned so much about Detroit's history. On Saturday morning we got up early and went to Eastern Market which is an experience in itself. We really had fun on our staycation in Detroit.
This is a veggie cow painted on one of the buildings at Eastern Market.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment